I wonder if you could look through your crystal ball and tell us what you see in future for ATI
. what are the consequences of ATI being under AMD banner in terms of compatability, R&D and supports from intel chipsets?
really great to have you back in the playground !
back to question :
> hey YOU
are the mod in news
section, so you tell me !
> never used any crystal ball but I'll think that over
About the AMD/ATI merger,announced July 24th, cost : $ 5.4 BILLION
> It's pointless IMO to anticipate anything till the final ink is dry, which might occur in late 2006, IF
it's finally signed up,which is not 100% sure
> Both AMD & ATI are currently standing at a critical point : it's a one way track, and choice has to be made fast enough :
- either they go at risk and make a step forward, taking a chance to get great market share and keep Intel/Nvidia under pressure (...or decline because merger are sometimes a mess of a team work). Here AMD shows (while not saying it) that it is heading towards Intel bully methods, size, and goals (integrate inhouse the most platform parts they can, knowing that the biggest chipsets/integrated graphics maker is Intel)....
- or they go on sleeping upon old tech glories, and poor marketing habits - business as usual - with some probability to end up awake with headache and their pants off
As of now, don't worry about ATI chipsets for INTEL processors :
- ATI's bus license has definitely not been revoked by Intel, and David Orton claims that ATI will deliver as many as necessary Intel chipsets to any request
- No change in the 2006 roadmaps,and RD600 will be launched as predicted
- Whatever decision could be made about the license, anyway ATI's Intel chipsets production will decline slowly, while on the other hand AMD plans to go on working with Nvidia for quite a while (they play "open").
- I'd doubt ATI using the AMD's fab facilities before 2008, taking into account ties with TSMC and AMD own needs in 2006/2007
- IMHO, don't wait new "AMTI" products before 2008 IF
the merger is actually comes to its last step end of this year 2006
What's your own opinion/preview, Chaotic ??